Super Bowl I was played on January 15, 1967 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, California. The National Football League (NFL) champion Green Bay Packers defeated the American Football League (AFL) champion Kansas City Chiefs by the score of 35–10.
Buzzfeed collected 26 amazing pictures from this historical match, and here they are!
1. Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles on Jan. 15, 1967.
2. Members of the flag team line up on the field prior to the game. The Packers beat the Chiefs, 35–10 to win the professional football World Championship.
3. Sports commentators Paul Christman for NBC (left) and Frank Gifford for CBS discuss the game on national television.
4. Young women dressed in faux headdresses wait on the sideline for the festivities to begin.
5. J Holub, linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs, lies on the floor and yawns before the start of the game.
6. In the locker room, Len Dawson (left), quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs, smokes a cigarette as he speaks to an unidentified man with a program book before the game. Jackie Dawson (right), Dawson’s wife, prepares to watch the Super Bowl with her children.
7. A cameraman for the CBS television network follows pregame warm-ups prior to Super Bowl I.
8. Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame quarterback Bart Starr barks signals before a play.
9. Starr (15) hands off to runningback Elijah Pitts (22) during a play.
10. Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame defensive tackle Buck Buchanan (86) charges upfield during the game.
11. Cheerleaders in glamorized faux Native American costumes attempt to excite the crowd.
12. Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame halfback Paul Hornung (left), who missed the game due to injury, watches from the sideline of the Super Bowl. A group of officials (right) confer on the sideline of the game.
13. View from the CBS Sports booth at the top of the stadium.
14. Kansas City Chiefs’ quarterback Len Dawson (16) fires off a pass..
15. Otis Taylor (left) of the Kansas City Chiefs gets some comforting words from the assistant coach on the sideline. Defensive halfback Fred Williamson (right) is placed on a stretcher after being injured. Williamson, known as “The Hammer,” had to be carried from the field.
16. A tired Kansas City Chiefs player takes a rest during Super Bowl I.
17. Quarterback Bart Starr of the Green Bay Packers drops back to pass against the Kansas City Chiefs.
18. Runningback Elijah Pitts (22) of the Green Bay Packers scores a touchdown during the second half of Super Bowl I against the Kansas City Chiefs.
19. Green Bay Packers fans whoop it up in the stands at the Coliseum in Los Angeles.
20. A Kansas City Chiefs cheerleader cries after realizing the Chiefs defeat against the Green Bay Packers. Runningback Jim Taylor (31) gets a hug from teammate Fred “Fuzzy” Thurston (63) after Taylor’s 14-yard touchdown run put the Packers ahead 14–7 in the second quarter of Super Bowl I.
21. Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi raises a football in victory, surrounded by reporters covering the first Super Bowl in 1967.