According to an article in Psychology Today, there are two kinds of lies: the lies that we tell with good intentions and the lies we tell for self interest.
We resort to the latter to make ourselves look better, or to protect ourselves from shame, punishment or getting hurt. We resort to the first kind of lies to make others feel good or to save them from shame, punishment or getting hurt. These are called white lies.
The research of Dr. Bella DePaulo shows that women tell more white lies. Honesty is, of course, important in every relationship, including friendships, but there are some situations where the only option is lying. For example:
1. When they leave the hair dresser with a horrible haircut.
2. When they are dating somebody that you don't find suitable for them.
3. When they ask "Do you think I have gained weight?"
4. When they ask "Does my acne look really bad?"
5. When they say "Look! I look sooooooo bad in this pic!"
6. If you are going out and your friend is dressed really badly.
7. Never approve of their bad words about their family.
8. Never tell them that they are a bad parent.
9. When you hear a rumor that can hurt your friend.
10. When you think they are exaggerating....
11. When they perform badly.
12. When they have a very bad profile pic.
13. When they cry over their ex.
14. When you don't feel like going out.
15. When they ask questions about last night, when they were pissed drunk...