22 Awesome Facts You Never Heard Of!
> 22 Awesome Facts You Never Heard Of!
Here are 22 wildly interesting facts about life, nature and science from National Geographic’s 5000 Awesome Facts book.
1. Corn can grow on every continent except Antarctica.
2. Unlike most other fish, sea horses’ bodies are covered with bony plates instead of scales.
3. A healthy human being loses approximately 50-100 strands of hair a day.
4. The word “Armadillo” means “little armored one” in Spanish.
5. “Utricle” is the name of the world’s smallest fruit and is the size of a little ant.
6. Komodo dragons can eat 5 pounds (2 kg) of meat in a minute and they store the extra fat they eat in their tails.
7. Not every moon’s surface is dry and dusty like our Moon. Under the icy crust of Jupiter’s moon Europa, there’s a giant ocean.
8. Burying captains inside their boats was an old Viking tradition.
9. Clouds cover 60% of the globe at any moment.
10. All monkeys giggle when they’re being tickled.
11. Spotted hyenas can digest skin and bones.
12. The quills of African porcupines can be up to 50 centimeters (20 inches) long.
13. It’s scientifically proven that dreaming about an activity improves one’s performance in that activity in real life.
14. Human hair contains traces of gold.
15. Some clouds can speed up to 100 miles per hour (160 kph) depending on the speed of the wind.
16. Opal was found on the surface of Mars.
17. Discovering caves was the biggest hobby of the USA’ s first president George Washington.
18. You need to use 5.7 liters (1.5 gallons) of milk to make 3.8 liters (a gallon) of ice cream.
19. The dirtiest thing you can touch in a house, hospital or hotel room is the TV remote.
20. The Hercules beetle can grow up to the size of a human hand.
21. The finest quality emeralds are worth more than diamonds.
22. Our brains can recognize any sound in 0.05 seconds, which makes hearing the fastest human sense.