Most of working people spend almost all of their time at work. Because of bad managers, they get to do things that have no value whatsoever.
The style of a report becomes more important than the content for example. Or your boss wants you to do things that have no relationship with professional life; you get to serve coffee at a meeting for instance.
Let's see how much does working like this affect people's happiness.
1. People who do research on stress at work have saying for inappropriate or unnecessary work:
2. Science has an explanation for this situation:
3. Research shows that work like this has negative effects on workers' health and happiness.
4. When do these duties that are not in the job definition increase?
5. Sometimes these unnecessary duties just happen because of lack of information.
6. Sometimes they just do it out of bad intentions.
7. The damage this kind of thing does to workers' psychology is not just these things.
8. The main reason is managers who can't organize.
9. Managers must know the true value of the work that the staff is doing.
10. The manager should work with the staff to diminish the duties that are not included in the job description.
11. A manager should know how to support the team.
12. He should be careful with psychological agreements.
13. Besides the formal terms in business contracts, some additional clauses should be taken into consideration:
14. A manager should deeply think of his/her administrative attitude and his/her manners on feedback.
15. A manager should try to minimize the jobs that are out of the job description as much as possible.
Harvard Business Review