Haruki Murakami was born in 1949 in Japan. He started his writing career when he was 29 years old. Since then, Murakami continues to write and publish excellent contemporary novels.
Murakami was considered to be a strong candidate for the Nobel Literature Prize in 2016. Though, he couldn't win the prize this year, he still continues to be a favorite author of many people.
These quotes will introduce you to Murakami's sincere and colorful world if you haven't read his books yet. For those who already read Murakami, you can enjoy his magical words once more.
1. "The human heart is like a night bird. Silently waiting for something, and when the time comes, it flies straight toward it.”
2. “If you can love someone with your whole heart, even one person, then there’s salvation in life. Even if you can’t get together with that person."
3. “Spend your money on the things money can buy. Spend your time on the things money can’t buy.”
4. "Life is not like water. Things in life don’t necessarily flow over the shortest possible route."
5. "But who can say what's best? That's why you need to grab whatever chance you have of happiness where you find it, and not worry about other people too much. My experience tells me that we get no more than two or three such chances in a life time, and if we let them go, we regret it for the rest of our lives."
6. "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
7. “The truth sometimes reminds me of a city buried in sand. As time passes, the sand piles up even thicker, and occasionally it's blown away and what's below is revealed.”
8. "Anyone who falls in love is searching for the missing pieces of themselves. So anyone who’s in love gets sad when they think of their lover. It’s like stepping back inside a room you have fond memories of, one you haven’t seen in a long time."
9. “I was always hungry for love. Just once, I wanted to know what it was like to get my fill of it -- to be fed so much love I couldn't take any more. Just once.”
10. "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."
11. "Every one of us is losing something precious to us. Lost opportunities, lost possibilities, feelings we can never get back again. That’s part of what it means to be alive."
12. "There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair."
13. "Everything passes. Nobody gets anything for keeps. And that's how we've got to live."
14. "No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
15. "People fall in love without reason, without even wanting to. You can't predict it. That's love."
16. “As we go through life we gradually discover who we are, but the more we discover, the more we lose ourselves.”