He is one of the true legends of the previous century. He changed the course of music history, and he will never be forgotten, nor will his songs.
Michael Jackson spent his last days in loneliness and paranoia; so much had been said about him even before he was able to speak up for himself. We’ve collected 17 of his inspirational quotes that will remind us who he was and what he was thinking and feeling about life and music. So here is Michael Jackson, people, in his very own words...
1. “... I remember going to the record studio and there was a park across the street and I'd see all the children playing and I would cry because it would make me sad that I would have to work instead.”
2. “... I had pimples so badly it used to make me so shy. I used not to look at myself. I'd hide my face in the dark, I wouldn't want to look in the mirror and my father teased me and I just hated it and I cried everyday.”
3. "I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily."
4. "I'm a black American, I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am. I have a lot of pride and dignity."
5. "Before I would hurt a child, I would slit my wrists."
6. "If you wanna make the world a better place, Take a look at yourself, and then make a change!”
7. “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
8. "Some friends are like shadows, you only see them when the sun shines. But my fans sustained me even in the dark days. I owe them everything."
9. "In spite of the risks, the courage to be honest and intimate opens the way to self-discovery. It offers what we all want, the promise of love.”
10. “Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.”
11. “In accepting yourself completely, trust becomes complete. There is no longer any separation between people because there is no longer separation inside. In the space where fear used to live, love is allowed to grow.”
12. “Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation.”
13. 'My attitude is if fashion says it's forbidden, I'm going to do it.'
14. "My fans are activists. They will fight with you to defend me."
15. "Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion."
16. "I have a skin disorder that destroys the pigmentation of my skin, it's something that I cannot help, OK?"
17. “If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.”