20 Interesting Facts About Asia You've Never Heard Before!!!
> 20 Interesting Facts About Asia You've Never Heard Before!!!
Asia is the earth's largest and most crowded continent. Asia covers an area of 44,579,000 square kilometers, about 30% of Earth's total land area and 8.7% of the Earth's total surface area.
These are the facts you can find out about Asia in geography books. What are other things that you can't find in those books? Here's a list of 19 fun and interesting facts about life in Asia!!!
1. Asia covers 30% of all the land on earth and it has a population over 4 Billion. This makes Asia the greatest and most populated continent.
2. All the popular religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Budism) are rooted in Asia.
3. 90% of the rice on the earth is consumed in Asian countries..
4. Nearly 50% of Asians suffer from a condition in which they can't digest alcohol due to a lack of an enzyme in their bodies.
5. In some parts of China, South Asia and Africa, monkey brains are consumed as food.
6. Contrary to common belief, most of the tigers live in Asia, not in Africa.
7. The wealthiest person in Asia is Li Ka-shing, who left school when he was 15 to start working.
8. Nepal was the first country to legalize gay marriage. This country also banned the death penalty which still currently exists in other Asian countries.
9. In research done in 2007, it was found that pet cats were domesticated around 8000 B.C. from wild cats living in the Near East.
10. The Philippines has the slowest internet connection around the continent with an average of 3.54 Mbps.
11. It is believed that Genghis Khan and his army killed around 40 million people in Asia and Europe.
12. In some parts of Asia, people have to walk around 6 kilometers just to reach clean water resources.
13. In China and other Eastern countries, deep fried cockroaches are consumed as food.
14. A recent study done in 2010 indicates that Asia has 3.3 million billionaires. The continent is only surpassed by North America, which has around 3.4 million billionaires.
15. When Alexander The Great was alive, he governed Egypt, Persia, Asia and Macedonia at the same time.
16. Hong Kong has over 8,000 skyscrapers. This is twice as much as in New York.
17. Indonesia is the largest country composed of islands. There are 17,508 islands around the country and 6,000 of these islands are inhabited by people.
18. There are 50,000 people over 100 years old in Japan.
19. The world's largest -153 meters- sculpture is in Spring Temple Buddha in China.