Often, we hear things that sound like the truth but with a little research are shown to be a lie. But this time, the people at Brightside decided to approach things from the other way round — and the results were much more interesting.
Here are 16 surprising facts which prove that the world is not always what it seems.
1. Benjamin Franklin was never the US president.
2. It’s illegal to die in Longyearbyen, Norway.
3. In Greece, Santa Claus is called Agios Vassilis.
4. If there are 23 people in a room, then there is a 50% chance that two of those people have a birthday on the same date.
5. Neanderthals had bigger brains than humans.
6. Mankind managed to land on the moon before it invented luggage on wheels.
7. When the pyramids were being constructed in Egypt, mammoths still roamed the Earth.
8. Laziness is an inherited characteristic.
9. The national animal of Scotland is a unicorn.
10. Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia.
11. Nintendo was founded more than 120 years ago — in 1889.
12. If you drill through the Earth and jump into the hole, you’ll end up on the other side in 42 minutes.
13. The Titanic cost $7.5 million to build. The movie about the famous ship cost $200 million to make.
14. 70% of all oxygen on Earth is produced by phytoplankton.
15. Diamond rain falls on Saturn and Jupiter.
16. Swearing has the same effect on the human body as a painkiller.